2nd Annual CelebrAsian Scholar Application
Youth APIA leaders that will best represent their culture, beauty, intelligence and talent.
Winner gets the CelebrAsian Scholar Title and a $1,000 scholarship.
Must be a High School Senior up to a Junior in College and of Asian heritage by at least one parent.
Candidate must show their dedication to Community Service, education and their culture.
Be A Legacy for Tomorrow.
Those interested in running for the CelebrAsian Scholar must do the following;
1. Submit an application, resume and a one-page essay
2. Submit a Bio & headshot photo that will be posted on Iowa Asian Alliance social media for the community to see finalists.
3. Must be available to perform on the main stage during the CelebrAsian Festival Saturday May 27th to be evaluated on Presentation, Creativity, Uniqueness, Culture Representation and crowd reaction.
4. Must wear Asian heritage attire for the CelebrAsian Fashion Show on Saturday, May 27th.
Requirements to participate;
- Currently enrolled in High School or a college/university between the years of a Senior credit High School student and a Junior credit college/university student.
- Be of Asian heritage by at least one parent.
- At least a 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 GPA scale.
- Completed at least 10 hours of community service within the past 2016-2017 school year.
- Incorporate the 2017 CelebrAsian Theme “15 Years Strong”
- Submit Application and attachments by email submission by 5PM, Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 to CelebrAsian.Entertainment@IowaAsianAlliance.com
*A point system will be used to select winners*
- Application Due: 5PM, Tuesday, April 25th, 2017
- Finalist Picked for CelebrAsian Festival Activities: Friday, April 28th
- CelebrAsian Main Stage Performance: Saturday, May 27th
- CelebrAsian Fashion Show: Saturday, May 27th
2016 CelebrAsian Scholarship Winner Abraham Steenhoek
"Participating in the CelebrAsian Scholarship competition in 2016 was a great experience for a number of reasons. Having an element of competition really pushed me to strive for my best, both in music and taekwondo. Also, I made friends with those I competed with.
The scholarship helped me pay for my tuition at BJU, which I am really thankful for. As far as performing on the main stage, I encourage anyone who has a talent they want to share to try and find those opportunities. Everyone should have at least a little bit of experience on stage, especially with performing talents like music and martial arts. Especially with CelebrAsian, I got to perform alongside many other talented cultural artists, which was awesome.
Overall, I'm thankful CelebrAsian gives people opportunities like this, because it promotes the expression of talents and encourages friendly competition. I wish them the best as the years for this competition continue.”